The Phantom of the Oak Street Cinema
The Oak Street Cinema was a small, single-screen movie theater in Minneapolis, MN. The theater played both first-run independent films and repertory showings, including retrospectives of such filmmakers as Ingmar Bergman and Akira Kurosawa as well as genre-based retrospectives. It had also been home to several local film festivals.The Oak was where I first experienced some of my favorite foriegn films on the big screen. Not to mention some of the classics from all eras in which rarely seen a screening. One thing was for sure the theater was a favorite for many avid film goers like myself.
To honor the Oak Street Cinema I am going to do a weekly blog reviewing older films from the 1980's and back. Each month will have a special theme. At times I will also take an in-depth look at collecting memorabilia such as posters and autographs from the films and stars of yesteryear.
No comments:
Post a Comment